The Central Valley Alliance of Atheists and Skeptics (CVAAS)
CVAAS is the largest, most active secular organization in the California San Joaquin Valley. Located in Fresno California, CVAAS encourages secular and skeptical people from Modesto to Bakersfield to come together in like-minded communities.
We have several events or activities each month, and we table at the local universities and at various events.
CVAAS hosts the annual Heretic's Barbecue in late October, where we gather for fun, food, entertainment, and some really good speakers.
CVAAS is organized for those people who don't need the supernatural to find meaning in their lives. We believe that human rights and ethical questions are best examined from a human perspective, and that questions of morality must be answered with empathy and sympathy. We teach that objective scientific inquiry is the best way to determine claims of truth.
- We serve as a place for non-Theists and their supporters throughout the California Central Valley to meet – both online and in person. We provide mutual support, advice, and conversation with other like-minded people.
- We work to be a “voice” for those Atheists, Agnostics, Secular Humanists, and other non-believers in the Central Valley who feel like no one is speaking for them.
- We engage with the community when the local government strains or steps outside of First Amendment limits.
- We teach the differences between Science and pseudoscience. We promote reasoning, critical thinking and the methods of science.
- We encourage local debate and awareness by staging events and bringing speakers to the California Central Valley.