Take Action NOW!
Urge your state representatives to:
- Support LGBT rights and non-discrimination by opposing the Magistrates Recusal bill (SB2) which was passed by the House on May 28 (call Gov. McCrory now at 919-814-2050 and ask him to veto this bill) and supporting the Nondiscrimination in Public Employment bills (SB 612 and HB 443). Note that NC's RFRA bills (HB 348 and SB 550) are not expected to be taken up this session.
- Oppose new restrictions on abortion by opposing the Clarify & Modify Certain Abortion Laws bill (HB 465) and the Women and Children's Protection Act of 2015 (SB 604). Call your Senator now and ask them to vote NO on HB365.
- Support stricter immunization requirements by sponsoring a bill similar to SB 346 (now dead) which also includes the HPV vaccine and closes the "home school loophole."
- Support the right of terminally ill and medically competent patients to choose how and when to end suffering with the assistance of their physician by supporting the "Death With Dignity Act" (HB 611).
Finally, talk to your legislator about the need to rid the NC Constitution of an antiquated law banning atheists from running for public office!
Other bills we are following and more information:
- SB 297: Prenatal Narcotic Drug Use/Criminal Offense.
- SB 524: Founding Principles/Graduation Requirement.
- HB 229: Modify Religious Property Exemption.
- HB 29: Technical Changes to Courses of Study Statute.
- HB 695 & SB 507: Constitutional Amendment Convention/Countermand - AKA Nullification! More Info.
Recent Editorials by the Secular Coalition for NC:
- Misinformed dissent against medical advice on immunizations.
- A voucher system that allows school discrimination cannot stand in NC
- Marriage Equality Brings Out Some “Dead-Enders”
The fundamentally secular nature of the United States government is one of its defining characteristics. It is the mission of the Secular Coalition for America to increase the visibility and respect for nontheist viewpoints and to protect and strengthen the secular character of our government as the best guarantee of freedom for all. To ensure the core freedom of and from religion are upheld, the Secular Coalition for America stands for the following :
- Health and Safety: The health and safety of an individual should not be compromised by the religious beliefs of another person or group.
- Education: Children should not be subjected to religious education or exercises in our public schools.
- Tax Policy: Religious organizations and individuals should not be exempt from the requirements and restrictions of tax policy.
- Discrimination: Personal religious beliefs do not justify prejudicial actions that violate discrimination laws.
- Government Actions: The government and officials acting in their government capacity, should not endorse religious beliefs, one religion over another or religion over non-religion.
- Military: The taxpayer funded U.S. military must serve the beliefs of all service members without privileging one belief over another.
- International: Even abroad, U.S. government funds, policies, or actions should not endorse religion.