I ARTICLES, II WEBSITES, AND III PDFs
ON SECULAR/SECTARIAN HOSPITAL MERGERS IN PACIFIC NORTHWEST
Compiled by Paula Fraser [email protected]
I ARTICLES RELATED TO HOSPITAL MERGERS:
- Seattle Times Editorial. July 21, 2013. A Sensible Response to Hospital Merger Concerns. http://seattletimes.com/html/editorials/2021430907_editcatholichospitalmergersxml.html.
- Catholic Watch. June 10, 2013. 30 minute video conversation between Valerie Tarico and Monica Harrington: The Catholic Bishops. Health Care and You. http://catholicwatch.org/the-catholic-bishops-vs-washington-state-constitution-why-it-matters-to-you
- The Body: Complete HIV/AIDS Resource. June 10, 2013. Two articles about implications of and organizing to stop secular/Catholic Hospital Mergers written in 2001, but very relevant to current issues: When Conscience Limits Care. http://www.thebody.com/content/art13239.html AND Catholic Health System (Providence) Loses Bid to Take Over Oregon Hospital District. http://www.thebody.com/content/art16727.html?nxtprv
- Newport Beach Independent. June 9, 2013.The Assault on Women’s Reproductive Health Care. By Jean Hastings Ardell. http://www.newportbeachindy.com/the-assault-on-womens-reproductive-health-care/
- Away Point Blog, June 6, 2013. Do Religious Restrictions Force Doctors to Commit Malpractice?/ By Valerie Tarico. http://awaypoint.wordpress.com/2013/06/06/do-catholic-restrictions-on-healthcare-force-doctors-to-commit-medical-malpractice/
- San Juan Journal.com, June, 4, 2013. Patients’ rights at the crossroads | Opinion. By Monica Harrington. http://www.sanjuanjournal.com/opinion/210110751.html
- The Seattle Times, May 31, 2013. ACLU Asks Inslee for Temporary Halt of Hospital Mergers. http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2013/05/aclu-wa-asks-inslee-to-halt-hospital-mergers-citing-risks-of-religious-restrictions/
- The Stranger, May 31, 2013. Civil Rights Groups Call on Governor Inslee to Delay Religious Hospital Mergers.[ This article also includes a links to the PDF of the letter to Governor Inslee as well as the PDF of Catholic Ethical Directives.] http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2013/05/31/civil-rights-groups-call-on-gov-inslee-to-delay-religious-hospital-mergers
- Seattle Times Editorial, May 28, 2013 Noble motives behind UW Medicine-PeaceHealth partnership http://seattletimes.com/html/editorials/2021053053_edituwpeacehealthxml.html
- Seattle Times, May 26, 2013 UW Tries to Calm Critics of Link to Catholic Health System http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021065664_uwreactsxml.html
- DAILY KOS, May, 26, 2013 Catholic Hospital Mergers Put Women’s Health at Risk http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/05/26/1211484/-Catholic-hospital-merg...
- Seattle Times, May 20, 2013 UW Medicine, Catholic Peace HealthSystem to have strategic “affiliation.” http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021024295_uwpeacehealthxml.html
- Seattle Times, Danny Westneat's column. May 21, 2013 Is Catholic Church Taking Over Healthcare in Washington? (We’d never turn our education system over to one church to run. Why are we doing it with healthcare? )..RE: "affiliation" of UW Medicine with Catholic Peace Health http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021029685_westneat22xml.html
- AWAYPOINT Blog by Valerie Tarico. (Article also appeared in Huffington Post.) May 23, 2013. How the Catholic Bishops Outsmarted Washington Voters. http://awaypoint.wordpress.com/
- AWAYPOINT Blog by Valerie Tarico. May 16, 2013. Will the Catholic Bishops Decide How You Die? http://awaypoint.wordpress.com/2013/05/16/will-the-catholic-bishops-decide-how-you-die-2/
- MS Blog. Molly M. Ginty. May 9, 2011. Treatment Denied. http://msmagazine.com/blog/2011/05/09/treatment-denied/
- New York Times- May 12, 2013-Hospital Mergers Reset Abortion-Access Battle http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/13/us/hospital-mergers-in-northwest-raise-issue-of-abortion-barriers.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
- Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomber—April, 2013- 1. Contradicting Statements: http://www.vashonbeachcomber.com/letters/204323521.html 2. Islanders Question Hospital Mergers: http://www.vashonbeachcomber.com/news/203251311.html 3. Voting Yes to Hospital District Might Have Changed the Picture: http://www.vashonbeachcomber.com/letters/206509861.html
- Americans United for Separation of Church and State, Rob Boston March, 2011, Prescription for Disaster: Hospital Mergers and Heavy-Handed Tactics Are Giving the Catholic Hierarchy An Increasingly Problematic Role in American Health Care. https://www.au.org/church-state/march-2011-church-state/featured/prescription-for-disaster
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) PowerPoint on Hospital Mergers: May, 2013. My Health Care: Protecting Patient Choices from Religious Doctrine. http://acluwa.org/sites/default/files/attachments/ACLU%20Health%20Care%20Presentation_0_0.pdf
II WEBSITES RELATED TO HOSPITAL MERGERS: CHECK FOR UPDATES
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Website: Protecting Patient Choices from Religious Doctrine. http://aclu-wa.org/myhealthcare
- Merger Watch-- Important NY-based group that is tracking and supporting challenges to these secular/sectarian hospital mergers across the country. http://www.mergerwatch.org/
- CatholicWatch-- Monica Harrington of WA Women for Choice has been on the frontlines in addressing this issue; she suggested this website as well http://catholicwatch.org/
III SEPARATE PDF DOCUMENTS ACCOMPANYING THIS LIST: (attached PDF files, see below)
- Ethical Religious Catholic Health Care Directives.
- ACLU Letter to Governor Jay Inslee –May 21, 2013.
- Freedom From Religion Foundation Letter to Governor Jay Inslee and Janis Sigman-WA State Department of Health—June 24, 2013.
|5-31-13 ACLU letter to Governor re: Hospital Affiliations||1.4 MB|
|6-24-13 FFRF letter to Governor re: Hospital Affiliations||1.84 MB|
|Catholic Directives to Hospitals||148.02 KB|